Compositing the video in After Effects

Jay has stated compositing the video tracks in After Effects for screen A and B. We're working with an unusual aspect ratio for film of 3:1 so the images don't fit natively.  Jay realises there's a workflow problem that needs looking at - After Effects has inported each clip and edit as an individual layer so that there's over 450 layers when there were just 6 video tracks in Premiere.

With a change of workflow, Jay creates a nested timeline for each video track which comes back into After Effects as 6 pre-composed video tracks. Workflow sorted.

Over the years I have used multiple video formats (Super8, mini-DV, HD), it's Jay's job to resize, upscale and de-noise all the super 8 and DV footage to match a HD video resolution. By the end of the day he's created a 1920x1500 composition ready to playback onto the screens via the video mapping software.

Dan is busy working on the automation of the mix in Logic. What I have given him is very rough - mostly just audio attached to each video clip but I've also given him seperate clips with "handles" - the same audio but rather than the hard cuts that come with the video edit he's able to stretch the clip either way and add fades in and out.

A few years ago Dan spent the afternoon walking round Fair Hill and the market fields with Walter capturing the sounds of the fair, so with extra layers of sound effects (SFX) taken from those recordings, Dan now has 51 audio tracks to mix. These will be bounced down to less when we start to do the surround sound mix when we're back in the engine bay next week.

With the files all handed over to Dan and Jay I am now free to concentrate on transforming the Engine Bay into a gallery space. Blackout has always been an issue we've needed to sort out as the engine bay doors have lots of windows.

I have managed to borrow some huge theatre drapes from my brother Bill which mean we are able to create a curtained corridor entrance to the space and still have enough drape left to stretch almost the length of one side of the engine bay so there should only be minimal light leak.

To make the curtained corridor we've ended up using the Picnic Cinema truss and making up the second screen frame with scaffolding. Unfortunately the scaffolding company had most of their truss sections stolen so we're having break apart the 1st frame and swap some sections around to make it work with the lengths we have available to us.

In any spare moments I've been drafting an online feedback form which will be sent out to all the people who attend the preview and the results will be fed back into the evaluation. I picked up the A0 information board from the printers which will go on the wall at the entrance to the space.

Tom LLoyd